* The FBI research revealed that 74 percent of children abducted and murdered were killed within the first 3 hours of their disappearance: article taken from “ http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/november-2011/crimes-against-children-spotlight”
* As of December 31, 2012, National Crime Information Center (NCIC) contained 87,217 active missing person records. Juveniles under the age of 18 account for 32,225 (36.9 %) of the records and 15,141 (17.4 %) were for juveniles between the ages of 18 and 20. article taken from “ http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/november-2011/crimes-against-children-spotlight”
I just wanted you guys to understand that this is a real problem and if you think that it can never happen to you, I want you to wake up! Look at the stories with Elizabeth Smart; the three girls from Ohio who were taken and targeted for no reason and those girls are one of the few that survived. We cannot be with our children every day and every minute to stop these kinds of horrible acts, but there are a few things we can do as a preventive measure to insure the safety of our children. Listed below is a very affordable measure that I think all Parents should do for their children. I have three boys and I try to educate them as best as I can to make them safe, but as I use this instruction below for my kids, I do not see it as to watch over them all the time, but merely a safety measure for me if something goes wrong.
All children these days whether it is a latch key or single parent kid have some kind of smart phone with them at all times. With that in mind, in an emergency most children will not be able to grab their smart phone and call 911. But as good parents that we all are, know when something is not right with our children! Whether it is that they are not answering the phone, home from school yet or whatever it might be, we know. So with that in mind follow the steps below to help easy your stress a little bit better, I hope this helps anyway:
1) On your smartphone there is an apps store (mine is called “Play Store”) that you can get free apps for the phone. Press the app store app and go to the search program, then search for any GPS programs. There are plenty of free ones out there like: AmazeGPS, Instamapper, Mologogo and BuddyWay is a few you can read about.
2) Now once you pick the program you like, loaded it to the smart phone. Once it is downloaded open the program. Yes, you will have to create a user name and password and your current email address to access the program. Once this is done the program will open and any of the GPS programs you download should have a feed from Google Earth and a red blinking dot to track where you are from the smart phone. If you walk holding the phone the red dot should move as well. (This should be done anyway in order to make sure everything is working.)
example of a map:
3) Now, go to any home computer system and search for the program you just downloaded, log on to the website. Once you log on you will see the same map you just saw on the phone with the same red dot and you will know where that phone is located.
Keep in mind two things, yes the programs does run in the background while the phone is on and second: this is only as good as long as you child has the phone on them. Please remember that this is one step to help our children stay safe, and as long as we continue to educate our children it can only lead to great things. Please be safe and keep our children too.
Next week will be talking about how easy it is to find out where someone lives through social media. Until next time! Think!!!! Because you do not want to see this on the new!